Friday, February 10, 2017

Bears in the Woods

~ Bears in the Woods Quilt ~
from Quilt in a Day


I purchased the book and some fabric in November 2006
just before we were moving from San Diego, CA 
to Denver, CO.

The store is in San Marcos, CA.
Eleanor Burns was filming one of her quilt shows.
I was unable to meet her.  The signs in the store asked everyone to be quiet.
Her studio where she tapes is right there inside the building with the store.
While we lived there we were also able to drive by her Cabin Home;
also where she has taped some of her teaching CD's.
San Marcos is beautiful.

Fast forward it is now 2016 and I finally have the quilt top completed.
We have moved a lot over the years.
Things remained packed up and put away!
I just came across the book and fabric and decided it was time to get it done.
We saw a sample in the store and I just loved the quilt.

The quilt is large 84" X 84"
I had a hard time finding a place to be able to photograph it.


 

Here is a close up of the corner of the quilt.
They had flying geese running around the corners;
I replaced them with red squares to bring out the small bits of red throughout the quilt.


This one was taken on my work surface tables
and it was not big enough to capture the whole quilt.
But I love how the log cabin blocks created a star.

I took this one from the stairway.
I did not have enough floor space to lay this quilt top out flat.
So I draped it across the sofa as best as I could.

 
I hope you can get a good idea of what the quilt looks like.
The window puts a lot of glare and makes it hard to 
capture the true colors of the quilt.



I went with white fabrics (all scrappy) around the border 
of flying geese.  I thought if I stayed with the more neutral tans
that the flying geese blocks would fade away and not be noticed as much. 

My husband and my sons love Log Cabins
and we hope to have one someday.
I also hope to be able to fill that cabin with my quilts
both on the beds and hanging up on the walls. 

~ Sandra ~

19 comments:

  1. Your quilt if very, very pretty! You've used two of my favorite blocks. There's not a place in my whole house to take good pictures. When I lay the quilts on the bed, it looks like the quilt is larger at the bottom, so one just has to take for granted that it's straight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried on the beds and you could still not see the whole quilt. It is not quite a Queen Size; but I don't really want to make it any larger.

      Delete
  2. Yes, you have done a great job with the pictures. This quilt is ready for its own show! It is beautiful! Those colors are so vivid and true. I am going to make sure Virginia see this! Well done. Your home is beautiful, and I bet that window is a great source of light when doing hand work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the large windows in both our living room area and also in my sewing space. Great light. The colors are bright. So happy I got this sewn together.

      Delete
  3. Sandra, This is a beautiful quilt! I've never seen the log cabin blocks placed in a star pattern. Beautiful job with photos, that's a big quilt. I think it would make a pretty doll bed quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about the star shape done for a doll size quilt. Maybe in the future I will try. This one does not quite cover a Queen size bed completely; but I think I will just keep it this size. It may be a wall quilt someday. We have a huge wall that will be perfect to hang a large finished quilt on.

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow, I knew this was going to be a great quilt! What a beauty! I also love the star pattern created by the log cabin blocks. What a great job you have done with this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was missing some of the background fabric and I had to look through box after box. It would not have been good to try and just add another fabric. I was so happy to finally find what I needed and just had enough to finish the quilt. Not good on my part to wait so long to complete. But, it has a happy ending.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely beautiful, Sandra! I love Log Cabin quilts also and I am also a lover of blue and white. I like what you did with making the corners red in order to help pick up the other reds elsewhere in the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All the dark fabrics came with the book and pattern. I chose all the background tans and whites. I like how it turned out.

      Delete
  6. That is a beautiful quilt! Sandra, thank you for visiting my blog. I'm so happy to see yours. I love the cross stitch pieces you've done. Back in the early 90's someone taught me to cross stitch and I loved it. I made three pieces. Now I have forgotten everything I learned and don't know how to even begin a cross stitch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cross Stitching gets a bit harder as the eye's get to not see quite as well. But, I still enjoy doing a project now and then. Thank you for your visit.

      Delete
  7. Your quilt is incredibly beautiful! I love the mix of bears mixed in with the trees! All those flying geese surrounding that pretty star was no easy task! I've experienced that in times past. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used a cutting die for the flying geese and it really made the job easier and it seems to make those perfect points we are all trying to achieve.

      Delete
  8. This is such a beautiful quilt, Sandra. I'm completely fascinated because I love the log cabin and the bear's Paws patterns very much. And the trees are just the perfect addition to the scene. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit. I started this quilt top many years ago and it got put aside. So happy that I was able to finish it and hopefully someday have it quilted too.

      Delete
  9. Very nice! I've been to Eleanor's. She let our study group meet in her studio when it wasn't in use. I too lived in southern CA, then Boulder CO!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with me; they are appreciated.